Let’s make downtown San Diego more beautiful and cool, literally. It’s simple, plant trees!
The Downtown San Diego Partnership and Urban Interventions have come together to launch Grow Urban, an initiative focused on planting trees and helping our Downtown tree canopy thrive. We’re committed to improving the quality of life in our urban community through activation, art, and beautification.
Who doesn’t love walking down a tree-lined street? Trees cool us when it’s hot, improve our overall health and well-being, provide nesting and resting spots for local wildlife and create scenic corridors while driving, walking or biking in the city.
The perilous life of a street tree.
But it’s not easy being a street tree. Cars and delivery trucks run into them, dogs pee on them, people abuse them, and sometimes they don’t get enough water. They simply get no respect.
- Over 130 million acres of America’s forests are located right in our cities and towns.
- In one year an acre of mature trees can provide enough oxygen for 18 people.
- One mature tree has the same cooling effect as 10 room-sized air conditioners.
- Planning urban landscapes with trees can increase property value, by up to 20 percent, and attract tourism and business.
That’s where you come in.
How to get involved!
- Donate! For every $700 that is donated to the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Downtown San Diego Public Spaces Foundation’s Grow Urban campaign the Tree Hero’s at Clean & Safe will buy and plant a large 36” box tree that has the best chance of survival. This giving season, DOUBLE the impact of your donation with a match secured by our partners SDG&E.
- ART for TREES. Our partner in this effort, URBAN INTERVENTIONS, has donated a catalog of paintings to this effort. That way you can enjoy art on your wall, while contributing to the effort.
- Plant a Tree. On Giving Tuesday, December 3rd, volunteer and help us plant trees throughout Downtown.
- Spread the Word. Tell everybody – your friends, co-workers and colleagues and encourage them to participate.
Thank you to our Grow Urban supporters!
Our Major Donors:
Our Tree Nursery: